Monday, October 25, 2010

An argument About the Bible

One of my friends agreed to be my opponent in an argument of the Bible. This argument, which was based on the reliability of  the authority of the Old Testament in its influence on Christianity was similar in many respects to many other arguments I've had with people on the subject of the Bible. The most interesting and volatile arguments always seem to come up between my mother and I, and she is extremely well educated in the Bible, oftentimes pointing out obscure passages and interpreting them in ways I've never considered before. My argument with my friend was not as extensive but it was interesting in the fact that she offered the same bottom line as anybody else I've ever argued with. Faith. No matter how many mass slaughters, intertextual inconsistencies and improbable coincidences of similarities between the Bible and other great religious works, she remained unshaken in her answer. Faith answers everything. How can you argue with that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment